Sunday, February 5, 2017

Gersten article reflection

It's important to consistently look at how we teach and how different methods are implemented in the classroom. This article was hard to digest and overly descriptive to suit anyone who isn't in the field of research, education, or involved in both. Despite it's value to your average bystander, it's the thought that counts. Things became much clearer in the section titled Measuring the Independent Variable when the author discusses the difference between observing the implementation or the lack thereof. I think it became clearer because Gersten used a contextual example. I appreciate how the article stresses the importance of using a lesson model consistently so to better obtain an idea of how effective that model actually is. I enjoyed one of the following sections titled Implementation Fidelity because, right at the beginning, Gersten maps out what should be observed while judging the effectiveness of a lesson model. Gersten talks about aspects such as level of training provided , length of lessons, etc. Though there is a checklist that helps define what should be looked for in any implementation, I appreciate the fact that the author admits that there are aspects that can be difficult to quantify during an observation. The article brings more points to light, but overall, it reminds me that it's important to observe my own teaching and planning. That way I can consistently better my teaching methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment