Friday, October 21, 2016

They say I Say 1 and 2

The main points that I took away from the reading of section 1 and 2 of They Say I Say were many. I am still learning a great deal about writing in general and appreciate the things that this book is showing me. I have learned that its important to create a context for your argument, or to communicate the big picture and how your argument plays a part. It's also important to know how the context responds to your argument. Creating an order or process to your arguments and the points you're trying to make can help. I may have pointed this out before, but I love how the text gives tons of examples of what you can insert into your text to communicate your argument in a more effective manner. Always make sure that you compare your ideas with others. To do this, you can create a dialogue. By creating this dialogue, you can use a little time to summarize others ideas so that they can fit your agenda and can be used to support your claim. By using others thoughts, you can be led to quote a great deal, which can benefit or be detrimental to your idea. Too much quoting can lead to less of your own work, which can seem like you don't see much merit in your own thoughts but too little can show little support for your ideas. When you do use quotes, make sure that they are framed in the text properly and not merely tossed in to fill space. Make sure the quotes you use are relevant to the sections they fall into. In chapter four, I love how simplification is important when you respond to someones ideas. Either saying “I agree because. . .” or “I disagree because. . .” is enough. 

1 comment:

  1. Important to see your research as you entering into a wider ongoing conversation. There is an art to using quotes effectively.

    ReplyDelete