Saturday, December 3, 2016

They say I say part 4

The point made at the beginning of chapter eleven is valid in the idea that linking your thoughts and comments to what others have said. It can give you support in your argument or help tie in your own thoughts in a contextually relevant way. Despite how helpful that can be, I think this concept can be effective and detrimental when used during different mediums. When writing an essay, report, or study, it's important to link your methods and findings to the work that others have done before you, but when considering a conversation in a classroom setting, I can see people overusing others thoughts and playing them off as their own. It's great to give credit where credit is due, but that shouldn't steer people away from saying what they think, whether they agree with others or not. The only issue I have with this idea is that there has to be a measure of your own words rather than simply rephrasing what others have said. Without an emphasis on individuals personal input, there wouldn't be any conversation. For this reason, I appreciate the first few pages of part four and it's acknowledgment of the flaws in this idea.

Another segment in the chapters that I particularly enjoyed reading was bit about picturing the author of text in a social setting, not typing the pages of a book. The author talks about how this can force people to think more deeply about how the author of any text is responding to others and their ideas. As I thought about how I could implement this idea in the classroom, I thought how we in the cohort are asked from time to time to argue or debate in small groups. This is a great way to get students involved in learning especially when it is concerning beliefs that are not their own, as people are prone to ignore ideas that they don't agree with. On a final note on this topic, I thought this was a great way to ask your students "what is motivating this writer?".

No comments:

Post a Comment